Sunday, October 09, 2005

Talent hog

Somewhere in the world there are at least 100 (maybe even more) people walking around with absolutely no talent for anything. They can probably do things in a fairly average way but they can never be great at anything. The reason for this is very simple. All of their talent went to one man - Joss Whedon.

Many years ago DH and I started watching a little show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This was truly the best tv show I have ever seen. It was smart. It was witty. It had amazing female characters. It said something about the world. Clearly it showed off creator Joss Whedon's genius. (I'm sorry to say that, for me, Angel never really lived up to it's promise which just goes to show that you should never do too many things at once, even if you are a talent hog.) I could go on and on about how Buffy was a superior show, but that's not my point here.

Towards the end of Buffy's run, Joss decided to create another show (way over committed) and Firefly was born. Firefly was a sci-fi western that defied categorization. (An immediate reason for why it never did that well ratings wise.) It too was brilliant. It was fun. I loved it. But Fox screwed it up (no surprise there) and showed it out of sequence and without a lot of publicity. So Firefly was canceled and our hearts were broken. That is, they were until last week when Joss's genius was on display again in the movie Serenity, based on the Firefly series.

I can only say go see this movie. Whether you are a Joss fan or not, even if you've never seen Firefly, you owe it to yourself to see why maybe you are one of those unfortunate people without talent because Joss Whedon stole it all. Unlike many movies that spawn from tv shows, Serenity is not just an expanded episode. It is it's own stand alone movie. The dialogue is amazing, the story is engaging, and the message is one we desperately need to hear more of. Nathan Fillion isn't too bad on the eyes either. All in all, a very good use of babysitter time.

Oh Joss, I know you have too much talent, but even if I am lacking something special because you are a talent hog, I must admit it's been worth it. I look forward to your next creation.

And by the way, this was not why I voted for a Kerry/Edwards ticket in 2004, but only because I didn't know about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home