Friday, November 11, 2005

Parent Conferences

Q has had off from the county schools yesterday and today for parent conferences. Bottom line - Q is doing very well in school. His amazing teacher still argues that he's not so much autistic as obsessive compulsive. (Yes, tell me how that really helps me.) but since she is great with the kids, I don't argue too much with her. I'm just glad he's doing well. His biggest problem is that he gets bored since he's way over most kids academically. And when he's bored he gets into trouble. They want me to start looking at our neighborhood elementary school to see their kindergarten classes. He's way too smart for a special needs K but I have major doubts about his ability to sit through the incredibly boring and sedentary curriculum that is the result of No Child Left Behind. So basically there is no good place for him. They assure me he'll go into mainstream with a major IEP that will make accommodations for things like a movement break and such. And they have good things to say about our elementary school and its interest in helping special needs kids. So I guess that's good.

EEK! My baby is getting ready for K! I just wish there was a school placement that didn't cost $25,000 a year that worked for him. Oh the problems with being brilliant and socially inept with some serious compulsions, rigidity, and other emotional issues. Why can't this be easier?!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home