Saturday, November 12, 2005

My Three Wishes

As I was digging around in the Blogosphere yesterday I followed a link on MysteryMommy's blog to her husband's blog, Spock's Log. It is a non-updating blog and I didn't read too much of the content but one thing caught my eye. In his profile he said "I am married to MysteryMommy. Our son is Muffin Man. I have one wish left." That's a powerful statement and it's a pretty great husband and father who thinks that way. That statement has stayed with me all thorough last night and this morning.

Our family is trying a new tradition/discipline - keeping a sabbath. It has been something I have long contemplated, but always seemed so out of reach. A day to rest, to be thankful for all that I have, to be totally unproductive and be loved for it anyway. Then a week or so ago I read the book Sabbath Keeping by Lynne M. Baab and decided that I needed to give it a try. I know I don't have time in my schedule for it, which is precisely why I actually need to do it.

Since I work on Sunday we have decided to make our sabbath on Saturday. On my sabbath I plan to do minimal housework or yardwork (only what is needed to feed the family and not trip over various toys), not do any church work (though reading something spiritual is okay even if it's useful for work), and minimize buying things and being a consumer in general. I will instead spend time with my family (and not think of all the other things I should be doing), be gentle and loving with myself and not internally berate myself for all I haven't gotten done, and I will focus on being thankful for all that I have and stay in a sense of wonder about the incredible world around me.

It is this thankful piece that kept me thinking about Mr. Spock's comment. It's not often that I think that I am married to DH, have two wonderful kids, and am finding a way to live out my calling so I have my three wishes. When I think of three wishes I think of money, exotic trips, a personal chef for life, a body that stays a healthy weight no matter what I eat, you know things like that. And yet all those things, if I had them, would pretty much be useless if I didn't have DH, my kids, and my calling. Those things alone would never make me happy. So for today I am going to try to remember that I already have my three wishes and be thankful for them.

I still would love someone to cook for me though, so I think we'll eat out tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home